Based on the Human Development Index, the following are considered the most developed African countries.
List of Most Developed Countries in Africa
|Africa Rank||Global Rank||Country||HDI value|
The island nations of the Seychelles and Mauritius are the two most developed countries in Africa, although they are technically not on the African continent.
North African states Algeria and Tunisia have the next highest levels of development on the continent. Although both these countries are considered part of the North African Maghreb region, and not ‘Africa’ by many people. Morocco and Libya are also part of the Maghreb region, bringing the number of North African countries among the most developed in Africa to five (if we include Egypt, which is not part of the Maghreb but closely linked to North Africa and the Arab World.
That leaves just three Sub-Saharan countries among the most developed in Africa. The first Sub-Saharan country on the list is Botswana, which is renowned for its stable government and well-managed economy.
Next there is Gabon and lastly South Africa.
More about what makes a developed country
The Human Development Index is a summary measure of average achievement in key measures of human development. These include a long and healthy life, knowledge and education, and a decent standard of living.
It is a standard means of measuring human well-being. It is used to determine whether a nation is developed, developing, or underdeveloped.
The Human Development Index is also used to measure the impact of economic policies on quality of life. Most countries fall into four broad categories based on their HDI: very high, high, medium, and low human development. Currently there are no countries in Africa with “very high” human development level.
Explore other Ineng data-focused articles
- Direct International Flights from South Africa’s major airports: Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban
- What countries in Europe can South Africans visit without a Visa?
- List of SADC Countries in 2018
- Crime in Canada
- List of SADC countries by population
- Ease of Doing Business 2018
- Economic Freedom among SADC nations 2018
- South African Provinces by GDP per capita
- World Bank: Starting a Business Rankings 2018
- Map of Africa: GDP and Population
- Visa Free Countries for South Africans
- How do South African cities rank for quality of life in 2018?
- Live South African Rand Exchange Rates for Major Currencies
- South African Rand exchange rates worldwide
- Where do Ineng’s website visitors come from?