What is the status of Economic Freedom among SADC countries in 2018? The Southern African Development Community (SADC) is a regional economic bloc of 15 countries in Southern Africa that works towards greater integration and trade. It is one of eight regional economic communities in Africa.
The fifteen SADC member nations are:
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- South Africa
Data Visualization of Economic Freedom among SADC countries
How is economic freedom measured?
When compiling it’s economic freedom rankings, the Heritage Foundation measures twelve quantitative and qualitative factors, which are grouped into four categories:
- Rule of Law (property rights, government integrity, judicial effectiveness)
- Government Size (government spending, tax burden, fiscal health)
- Regulatory Efficiency (business freedom, labor freedom, monetary freedom)
- Open Markets (trade freedom, investment freedom, financial freedom)
Each of the twelve economic freedoms in the categories is graded on a scale of 0 to 100. A country’s overall score is calculated by averaging these twelve economic freedoms, with each weighted equally.